skip to main content

Propane Tank Explosion Ignites Waste Management Truck


Image courtesy of Waste Management truck in Peters Township caught fire this week when a propane tank ignited.

A grill had been put out for garbage collection, with the propane tank hidden inside. When the garbage truck picked up the grill and began to compact the waste, the tank ignited, setting the truck on fire. Thankfully, no one was hurt.

Please note that you should never put flammable objects, including propane tanks, out for trash. Below is a list of items that cannot be placed in residential trash containers:

  • Propane tanks, camp grill tanks, oxygen tanks, or other pressurized containers
  • Oil or other liquid wastes  
  • Electronic waste (computers, computer accessories, televisions etc.)  
  • Tires
  • Batteries (car, electronic, or lithium)
  • Hazardous waste (gasoline, aerosol cans, plastic spray bottles, liquid paint and chemicals, oil/antifreeze/auto fluids)
  • Freon-containing appliances

These items cannot be put into recycling either. If they make it to the recycling facility, they can ignite in the processing equipment. For safe ways to dispose of dangerous or hazardous waste, visit our Recycling Guidelines.

We appreciate your cooperation in preventing dangerous situations like this. For the full news story, visit WPXI's website.